Explore with this guided one full day trip from Athens to Argolis the remains of the ancient city of Mycenae a major centre of Greek civilization from 1600BC to 1100BC and a world heritage monument. Depart from your hotel for one day tour via the coastal National highway for the Corinth canal (short stop).
After the Corinth Canal, you enter the region of Argolis, land of Homer’s Golden Mycenae, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Dating back to the second century B.C., Mycenae was one of the major centers of Greek civilization and a military stronghold which dominated much of southern Greece.
Visit the archaeological site, home to the kingdom of mythical Agamemnon. You will see the Cyclopean Walls, the Lion’s Gate, the Royal Tombs, including Agamemnon Clytemnestra’s, and the Treasury of Atreus, a magnificent 14th-century B.C. structure. Time will then be taken for a traditional Greek optional lunch at a nearby restaurant.
Before lunch an optional stop in a pottery factory. After lunch through ARGOS proceed to Nauplia the first capital of modern Greece with its Venetian fortress of PALAMIDI and the fortified islet of BOURTZI (short stop). Continue on to Epidaurus and visit the ancient theatre. The UNESCO’S world heritage listed monument is reputed to be the birthplace of Apollo’s son Asklepios, the healer and was the most celebrated healing center of the classical world.
Epidaurus is probably most famous for its theatre, one of the best preserved classical Greek buildings and still used today due to its amazing acoustics. The Argolis (Mycenae – Epidaurus) day tour returns to Athens in the late afternoon.
- Short stop at the Corinth Canal
- Guided tour in Mycenae
- Lion’s Gate
- Visit the tomb of Agamemnon
- A short stop in Nafplia the first capital of modern Greece
- Entrance to Epidaurus and visit the ancient theatre
- Entrance fees
- Transport by luxury A/C bus
- Pick up and drop off service
- Services of a Professional and licensed guide
- All taxes
- Free WiFi on coaches
- Gratuities (optional)
- Drinks and beverages
- The full day tour, during the summer season, every Tuesday and Thursday will stop for lunch at Nafplion. The other days will stop for lunch in a traditional restaurant outside Mycenae.