Join our half day PRIVATE tour to Cape Sounion and experience a breathtaking sunset at the unique temple of Poseidon, the God of the Seas in ancient times.
Our tour starts with a wonderful drive along the Athens Rivera. During this relaxing ride you’ll enjoy splendid views of the Saronic Gulf while passing through some of Athens’ most beautiful suburbs, including Hellinikon Olympic complex, Glyfada.
Stop for swimming in Vouliagmeni lake.The lagoon formed about 2,000 years ago. It was once a large cavern that collapsed following an earthquake. The outline of the collapsed cavern roof can be clearly discerned from a distance.The lake has quite unique environmental conditions: it is supplied with warm seawater (28-35ºCelsius) via an underground channel spreading through a network of flooded caves, so its temperature never drops below 18 °C (usually ranges around 21-24 °C), whereas a freshwater spring reduces its salinity to brackish levels.Because of its constant warm water temperature and its rich content in hydrogen sulphide, the lake functions as a spa since the end of the 19th century.
Arriving at the Cape Sounion, you will visit the 5th century B.C. Temple of Poseidon with its magnificent panoramic view of the Aegean Sea (on a clear day you can see at least seven islands). Cape Sounion has long played an important part in Greek mythology and history, and the first recorded mention of it occurs in the Odyssey, as the last safe landing before Poseidon scattered the returning Greek navy. As god of the sea, Poseidon was very important for ancient Greeks, and the scale of the Temple at Cape Sounion reflects that.
After visiting the Temple, filled from the beauty, the history and the culture of this site we will wait to admire one of the most amazing sunsets you could ever imagine. And when the sun begins to slowly touch the sea it is the perfect moment, before returning back to your hotel.
- Breathtaking sunset views
- Stop for swimming in Sounio beach or Vouliagmeni lake
- Panoramic views of the Aegean sea & its islands
- Pass by some of the most expensive and highly rated areas of Athens
- A relaxing ride with splendid views
- Transport by luxury A/C Mercedes mini van
- COVID free sanitized vehicles
- Pick up / drop off service
- Professional English speaking driver
- All taxes
- Gratuities (optional)
- Entrance fees to the archeological site
- Entrance fees to Vouliagmeni lake
- Personal expenses
- The private tour is operating from 2 people (adults) and more.
- Pick up around 16:00 / return around 21:30. (It is possible to organize the same tour during the day 09:00 – 15:00).
- You must have your own towels.
- English or French speaking guide at your disposal for an extra cost of 130€ (kindly inform us if you wish to have guide in another language).